The federal government, educators and employers are emphasizing the growing need for workers trained for careers in science, technology, engineering and math, collectively known as STEM.
The U.S. Commerce Department recently found that STEM jobs have grown at a rate three times that of non-STEM jobs in the first decade of this century, and are projected to grow by 17 percent during the next decade. Last year, President Barack Obama challenged schools to "recruit 100,000 math and science teachers within the next 10 years" to raise student achievement on those fields.
Patch took a look at STEM jobs this week and found large numbers of openings, from lab technicians to physicists, all around Long Island.
Here are just a few.
- Culturing of cancer cell lines, retroviral transduction and flow cytometry
- Use molecular biology skills in recombinant DNA (restriction digestion, ligations, plasmid DNA preparations).
- Perform general laboratory tasks, including documentation and record keeping, general laboratory organization and maintenance of laboratory supplies.
Probationary chemistry teacher vacancy at the high school level. New York State teaching certification in chemistry, grades 7-12 is required. Candidates with teaching experience and dual certification in a second science subject area are preferred.
- Ensure the safe and effective operation of the facility; coordinate with university administrative and facilities services for maintenance, repairs and upkeep; oversee reparations and new construction; purchase, install, and maintain the facility equipment.
- Oversee all personnel utilizing the Marine Science Center including staff and students.
- Serve as a designated lab safety officer for the facility and oversee and perform safety inspections for all laboratories.
- Identify vendors and procure supplies for Marine Sciences Center laboratories and classrooms.
- Arrange for routine maintenance and calibration of facility equipment including computing interfaced analytical instrumentation.
- Schedule use and train users in the proper use and application of equipment.
Scientist – R&D
Advance knowledge of theories, practices and principles of Physical pharmacy, pharmaceutics, pharmacokinetic, biopharmaceutics and stastical designs is required. Should be well conversant to product design of controlled release dosage forms with hands on knowledge of multiparticulate systems, diffusion controlled, osmotically controlled and hot melt granulation controlled systems. Email recruiter.
Anticipated Vacancy. Oversee implementation of the science and mathematics curriculum K-12. Spearhead revisions to the curriculum based on the common core learning standards. Supervision and evaluation of related staff. Applications accepted through OLAS only. New York State SDA/SDL certification required. Contract salary.
Curriculum development and teaching (12 hours) in undergraduate courses in multiple disciplines of laboratory medicine, at both the medical laboratory technician and medical technologist level. Responsibilities include student advising and recruiting; service to the MLT Department, School of Health Sciences and College; and demonstration of continuing professional development and ongoing scholarly activity.
The deputy director for research will provide leadership in developing its research agenda, providing direction for associate directors and program leaders within the Cancer Center. The Deputy Director will work closely with the Director to further the basic and translational science research goals of the Cancer Center. The position will further include working with internal and external advisory boards and supporting fund raising and legislative relations.
- Preparing all incoming samples prior to testing and maintaining a clean and orderly environment.
- Media preparation, preparation of dilution blanks, inventory and ordering of supplies.
- Proper record keeping.
- E.coli 0157 testing/24 hour Salmonella testing.
- Use Autoclave and prepare media.
- Interfacing with manufacturing vendors, writing purchase orders and quotes, writing user manuals, performing maintenance and mechanical service on our simulation devices.
- Conversion of three-dimensional imaging data of human arterial geometries to rapid prototyping format.
- Flexibility to travel to provide hands-on technical support and training to customers.
- Occasional assistance with technical rendering of prototype designs.
- Coordinates project activities within engineering and between various departmental team members
- Communicates team progress within the team and to the director of engineering
- Applies sound meeting management techniques; providing meeting agendas (and managing meetings to them), generating and publishing meeting minutes with associated action items, etc.
- Facilitates the team in resolving roadblocks and other issues that arise. Proactively seek management assistance in resolving roadblocks, resource issues, etc.
- Investigates and presents alternatives to proposed schedule delays, budgetary increases; both within the team and with management
Responsibilities include generating complex 3D models and 2D drawings of beamline components such as enclosures, utilities, ray tracings, support and alignment systems, vacuum components, diagnostic devices, optical components, and detectors; interpreting and ensuring conformance to applicable standards, codes and policies including ASME Y14.5M; conduct tolerance stack-up and interference analysis; develop conceptual designs to meet physics and engineering specifications.
- The editor will commission and develop scientific content for books, journals, and online resources produced by the Press.
- Commissioning subject collections for the journals Perspectives in Medicine and Perspectives in Biology
- Research and development for new online publications
- Commissioning of handbooks and supplementary textbook
- Representation of CSHLP at conferences
- Engagement with emerging trends and prominent individuals in the life sciences and molecular medicine
- Engagement with emerging technologies and business trends in online publishing
Two assistant scientists for a two-year appointment to perform research in the areas of Smart Grid development and integration of renewable energy generation. Applicants for this position must have a Ph.D. and at least two years' experience in a post doctoral position working on electrical power systems with a strong focus on modeling and analysis of electrical networks, including distribution systems and microgrids.
Supervises, hires, trains, disciplines and evaluates the performance of staff. Ensures performance appraisals are completed in a timely manner.
- Prioritizes, schedules, assigns and monitors work
- Generates and maintains animal room activity log.
- Assigns space for animal housing.
- Establishes and generates technical service charges.
- Communicates regulatory, policy and procedural changes to staff.
- Participates in budget preparation, monitoring and justification.
Adjunct positions available, including astronomy, biology laboratory, chemistry, computer science, information technology, marine biology, nursing and organic chemistry.
• Ability to run customer engagements from inception to completion (Including design, configuration, implementation, etc..).
• Extensive design & implementation experience of storage area networks & server virtualization
Software support engineer to help support our Java based Merchant Accounting System. This person will investigate and resolve software issues raised by customers and Planet staff.
- Review all active protocols, manage clinical trials from the Institutional Review Board (IRB) initiation until close-out.
- Review patient's medical records to determine the patient's eligibility for protocol participation.
- Responsible for data collection for study analyses.
- Identify candidates to be enrolled in clinical trials, review present protocol patients for inclusion/exclusion criteria, follow and maintain records on protocol patients for the duration of the study.
- Draw blood as required by protocol and administer study drug medications.
- Educate families as well as the staff nurses on the research process and investigative study drugs.
Individual will perform various chemical and microscopic tests to obtain data for use in diagnosis and treatment of diseases. Receives or obtains specimens for laboratory analysis. Also responsible for recording laboratory test results. B.S. Degree in Medical Technology or Biological Sciences required in a addition to being ASCP-MT eligible with one years experience as a medical technologist.
- Develop standards for maintenance and operational best practices on Building Automation Systems.
- Responsible for the regional tactical implementation for the service and expansion of the entire BAS system.
- Works directly with the site LESS (facilities) team leaders to evaluate, update and optimize existing BAS systems infrastructure.
- Manages actionable energy reduction plans.