What is Operation E.D.I.T.H.?
E.D.I.T.H. stands for Exit Drills in the Home.
• How would you and your family get out of your home if there was a fire?
• How would they escape from the 2nd or 3rd floor?
• What would you do after everyone was out of the house?
Know 2 WAYS OUT of every room in your home.
Here’s how to do your own Operation E.D.I.T.H. Plan:
1. First you must have a plan. Every member of the family must be involved in developing your own Operation E.D.I.T.H. Plan.
2. Appoint a team leader. This can be your mom or dad, teenaged brother or sister, or even a babysitter.
3. The family visits each bedroom and picks 2 WAYS OUT- one should be the normal way out of the room, and the other should be an emergency route; through a different door or window.
4. Plan how each member of the family can reach the ground through the emergency route.
5. Decide on a meeting place outside of the home that everyone will go to once they’ve exited the house. This should be a point away from the home like a mailbox, or even in front of your neighbor’s home.
6. Draw a picture of each floor in your home. Show where the rooms, doors, windows, and halls are. Then color the normal escape routes BLUE and the emergency escape routes RED. Copies should be placed throughout the home so that everyone can see them and be reminded of what to do in case of a fire.
The most important part of this emergency escape plan is to practice it! Just knowing where your emergency escapes are isn’t enough. Firefighters from all of the Town of Huntington Fire Departments will be driving through their fire districts on Wednesday 10/16 beginning at 7:00pm to help implement your Operation E.D.I.T.H plan. If you see the fire trucks driving through your neighborhood, you can flag them down to show them your plan.