All activities scheduled for Thursday evening and at town facilities are canceled and Town Hall will reopen at 10:30 a.m. Friday.
“The Town has been preparing for this storm for several days, and I hope that all residents have been, too,” Supervisor Frank Petrone said. “With predictions of high winds and heavy snow, the best place for residents is in their homes. At the same time, residents should feel confident that the Town is working hard to make roads passable and provide necessary services."
Among the facilities closed because of the expected storm is the Dix Hills Ice Rink. Among the programs affected by the closure are activities at the Village Green Senior Center.
The recycling center on New York Avenue will be closed on Friday. There will be no Town refuse pickup on Friday.
HART Bus paratransit service will not operate Friday. A decision about scheduled HART bus service will be made on Friday morning.
Petrone urged residents to stay off the roads and move cars off the street to make room for snowplows. Residents are also asked, when plowing their driveways, to pile the snow to the side of the driveway that is on the left when facing the house.Residents who want to report an emergency should call the Public Safety Department at 271-2157 or 271-6573. Those numbers will also field Highway Department-related calls including reports of downed trees blocking roads.
Several organizations and businesses are closing earlier than normal on Thursday because of the blizzard while others were unsure as of 3:30 p.m.
The South Huntington school district, with classes on holiday break, closed its central administration office at 3 p.m. and will reopen Monday. It rescheduled the following:
- The home girls’ junior varsity basketball (originally scheduled for Thursday) is rescheduled for Saturday at 11 a.m. at WWHS.
- The Home Girls’ Varsity Basketball (originally scheduled for Thursday) is rescheduled for Saturday, January 4, at 1 p.m. at WWHS.
- The away boys’ junior varsity basketball (originally scheduled for Friday) is rescheduled for Saturday at 12 p.m. at Northport.
- The away boys’ varsity basketball (originally scheduled for Friday) is rescheduled for Saturday at 2 p.m. at Northport.
The Huntington Public Library will close at 4 p.m. and expects a delayed opening Friday
Walt Whitman Shops said at 3:30 p.m. that it had no plans to close early but would announce any changes on its Facebook page
The Heckscher Museum of Art will be closed on Friday. The First Friday extended viewing hours and performance are also cancelled. For additional information visit www.heckscher.org.
Huntington Medical Group will delay opening until 10:30am Friday. The Commack office will be closed Friday. The pediatrics department will begin sick visit walk-in hours at 10:30 a.m. Call ahead to inquire for HMG department-specific hours.
Is your business or office closing early or not opening Friday because of the weather? Please add in the comments.
Other blizzard stories:
- LIRR Alters Schedule Friday
- Quiet at the Station Before the Storm
- Suffolk Offers Winter Storm Info
- Cuomo: LIE to Close at Midnight
- Updated: Long Island Power Outages
- Snow Greets New Highway Super's Arrival
- SCPA Offers Pet-Care Tips in Storm