Recognizing the creative achievements of community teens, the Town of Huntington named its Poetry for the HART Public Art Initiative finalist at a recent ceremony.
On April 23 At the , 13 finalists were named from a field of 115.
Contest winners were chosen by a selection panel comprised of Huntington poets Bruce Johnson and Mark Elber, and Huntingon Public Art Advisory Committee member Deborah Robbins who reviewed 148 submissions from Huntington teens ages 14-18, according to a town press release.
Winners received certificates from the Town Board and participated in a poetry reading with adult poet mentor Michael Cirelli.
“The fact that this teen poetry will enrich the lives of all our HART bus riders, including the many senior citizens and people with disabilities who depend upon these transportation services, is emblematic of the universal impact that public art can have on a community,” said Councilman Eugene Cook, in a ress release.
Town Councilman Mark Cuthbertson said poetry program helps inspire youth to embrace poetry and create a new vessel for self-expression.
The following winning entries will be displayed inside town buses in the coming months:
- “Archaeological Dig” by Blaise Addeo, 17, from Whitman High School
- “Shirley” by Sean Cornell, 15, from Harborfields High School
- "Corn" by Alexandra Dukes, 18, from Whitman High School
- "A Fact About You" by Amanda Durs, 16, from Harborfields High School
- "Where I'm From" by Djenane Jean, 17, from Whitman High School
- "Life Is A Journey" by Ashley Kudler, 15, from Harborfields High School
- "I Like To Laugh" by Gabrielle Mikorenda, 17, from Northport High School
- "I AM A tomato" by Luke Miller, 15, fromHarborfields High School
- "Tow Years Apart" by Taylor Neal, 17, from Whitman High School
- "Connected" by Molly Prep, 16, from Huntington High School
- "Dream Season" by Samantha Strait, 16, from Northport High School
- "How To Be Human" by Eleni Toubanos, 17, From Whitman High School
- "Punctuation Poem" by Gabby Ricciuti-Gomes, 17, from Whitman High School