At it's June 19 meeting, the Town Board:
- approved the “Art Around Town” program, authorizing the Supervisor to execute no-cost agreements with artists and property owners under which works of art will be on temporary display in vacant storefronts. The program is part of the 2012 Public Art Plan approved by the Town Board in December. In May, a selection panel from the Town’s Public Art Advisory Committee, evaluating responses to a request for proposals, pre-qualified 21 artists for participation in the program.
- approved a contract with former New York Islander Benoit Hogue to oversee the summer hockey camp at the Town’s Dix Hills Ice Rink.
- voted to endorse the North Shore Land Alliance’s application for a $500,000 New York State Environmental Protection Fund grant to help finance its share of the cost of purchasing the DeForest Williams Estate in Cold Spring Harbor. The Town, Suffolk County and the Alliance are acquiring the estate as a partnership in which the County is to incur 50 percent of the cost and the Town and the Alliance 25 percent each.
The organizers of the “Szokoli Sportacular” at Friday afternoon were presented a proclamation from the town in honor of Mary Kate Szokoli. The “Szokoli Sportacular,” a sports-themed fair, was created to celebrate and memorialize the life of beloved first-grade teacher . All proceeds from the event are going to the college fund created for Mary Kate Szokoli’s two young daughters.
Councilwoman Susan A. Berland was honored by the Child Care Council of Suffolk County at their annual meeting on June 8, for her efforts in ensuring a high quality of life for children and their families in the Town of Huntington.
- The Huntington "Movies on the Lawn" series kicks off on June 25 in Heckscher Park with "Field of Dreams," starring Kevin Costner (Rated PG), an all-time classic about an Iowa corn farmer who hears voices coming from his cornfield and interprets them as a command to build a baseball diamond in his fields. The movie will be shown at darkness (approx. 8:30 p.m.). In the event of inclement weather, it will be held indoors at Auditorium in Elwood at 7:30 p.m. Check the website for up to date information on performances: www.HuntingtonNY.gov
- The Zoning Board of Appeals will meet at 6 p.m. on June 28 in Town Hall. Among the highlights on the agenda are requests from 93 Larkfield Road, East Northport (current location of The Lark Pub and Grub) and 203 West Hills Road, Huntington Station (current location of AutoSport). Agenda attached as a PDF.
- The statue of Nathan Hale will be on display in the lobby of Huntington Town Hall across from the Town Clerk's Department throughout the month of July. A handout on the life of Nathan Hale has also been prepared by Town Archivist, Antonia S. Mattheou. Mon. through Fri. from 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.