News Alert
Cops: Shooting Leaves 1 Dead, 1 Injured in…

Year Later, No Answers in Missing Persons Case

No new information about the whereabouts of the 50-year-old Huntington Hospital exec from Dix Hills.

Written by Taylor K. Vecsey

One year ago Wednesday, a vacationer vanished from his Montauk motel room.

 What happened to George Richardson remains a mystery. 

Richardson, his wife, Mary, and three young sons were staying at Hartman's Briney Breezes Motel on Old Montauk Highway, when he disappeared on Aug. 28, 2012, the morning he was due to return home. 

"There has been no leads, no new information regarding his disappearance," East Hampton Town Police Detective Lt. Chris Anderson said on Thursday. "We do investigate any new information that surfaces," he said. 

Foul play was not suspected in the Huntington Hospital executive's disappearance, but with no body or physical evidence, police have not been able to crack the case. 

Town Police Chief Ed Ecker said detectives thoroughly investigated. "They've worked hard and I believe they've done everything they could possibly do in trying to help the family come to a resolution. I'm confident they left no stone on turn," he said. 

Over the past year, the department has worked with several other agencies. The case was entered into the National Missing and Unidentified Person System, a national centralized repository and recourse center for missing persons and unidentified decedent records. 

Richardson was last seen on Aug. 28 at about 1 a.m. and his wife reported him missing. She told them he often went for walks on the beach in the morning, ad police searched the beach, and the nearby woods. 

Three weeks later, police released some more information — one of the family's body boards had also gone missing, perhaps offering a clue that Richardson had planned to go into the water. A photograph of a red body board with black and white stars, similar to one that went missing, was posted on East Hampton Patch and shown by other news media in the hopes it would spark new leads. 

His wife released a statement to the press on behalf of the family in September. "His disappearance has left a hole in the hearts of all those who love him," she said. "We know that Detective Sgt. Robert Gurney and his team are doing everything that they can to bring George back to us and for that, we are most grateful."

Anyone with information concerning his disappearance or about the body board are asked to contact the East Hampton Town Police Department's Detective Division at 631-537-7575 or email ehtpd@ehtpd.org. All calls will remain confidential.

Richardson is described as a white man, 5-foot-six-inches tall, 150 pounds, has short gray hair and wears reading glasses. He was last seen wearing running shoes and an orange "Montauk" hat seen in one of the photos (the rest of the clothes he is wearing in that photo were not the clothes he was last seen in). He has a small scar on his chin.

Edw Burns Sr August 30, 2013 at 02:09 PM
We don't leave anyone behind regardless of the time and the information can be posted at no charge on www.videolocators.com


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »