Some of the steps needed to join the squad:
- Enroll in an American Red Cross "Responding to Emergencies / CPR for the Professional Rescuer" class. It takes about 32 hours to complete the course.
- After passing the CPR component - usually the third and fourth classes - the Membership Committee chairperson will address the class and pass out applications.
- Complete and return the application. HCFAS will mail letters to your references.
- Candidates will be invited to a personal interview and be given additional information about HCFAS policies and procedures. They will be asked to sign a disclosure form for a background check and information about a squad-paid physical exam.
- When all forms have been received, the Board of Directors will review applications, references, background check and the recommendation of the members attending the personal interview
- Accepted volunteers will attend dispatch training classes for three weeks, then dispatch on a shift for approximately 13 weeks, pass a dispatch exam and attend ambulance orientation prior to riding an ambulance. Volunteers will progress from observer to aide to first aider.
- Questions about the process should be sent to email@example.com.