Two Suffolk County Second Precinct officers were among the honorees this week for their work in the Stop DWI Program.
Suffolk County Police Commissioner Richard Dormer, along with officials from the program, Tuesday honored 25 police officers from across the county for their efforts.
Dormer presented the officer who recorded the highest number of drunken driving arrests in their unit or agency with a proclamation and glass award at a ceremony at the H. Lee Dennison Building in Hauppauge.
The Second Precinct officers are James Berby and Ruboert Lubanski.
“Drunk driving is one of the deadliest crimes someone can commit,” Dormer said. “Law enforcement officers are the front line defense between the public and drunk drivers. Each time a police officer stops and arrests a drunk driver; the officer is preventing that person from causing injury or death to themselves or another.”
Police Officer Timothy Murphy from the Riverhead Town Police Department recorded the most DWI arrests in 2010 with 86.
The 10 officers from the Suffolk County Police Department who were honored were:
- First Precinct Police Officer Derrick Hall
- Second Precinct Police Officers James Berby and Ruboert Lubanski
- Third Precinct Police Officer Ari Hirsch
- Fourth Precinct Police Officer Douglas Nassisi
- Fifth Precinct Police Officer Timothy Vicinanza
- Sixth Precinct Police Officer John Bokinz
- Seventh Precinct Police Officer Brandon Neal
- Patrol Special Operations Team Officer Jeffrey Pitkewicz
- SAFE-T (Selective Alcohol Fatality Enforcement Team) Officer Robert Mudzinski
Officers from 14 other agencies were also honored:
Amityville Village Police Officer David Smith
Northport Village Police Officer Alan Bakker
Quogue Village Police Officer John Galvin
Sag Harbor Village Police Officer Thomas Pagano
Southampton Village Police Officer Ashley Jones
Westhampton Beach Village Police Officer Steven McManus
East Hampton Town Police Officer Vincent Rantinella
Town of Shelter Island Police Officer Christopher Drake
Town of Southampton Police Officer Joseph D’Arce
Town of Southold Police Officer Steven Zuhoski
Suffolk County Parks Police Officer Gregory Sandbichler
New York State Parks Police Officer Justin Puckett
New York State Trooper Michael Mangano
Suffolk County Deputy Sheriff Robert Rilling