A man on Wells Road in Greenlawn lost five cars and suffered second degree burns after his garage caught fire Monday night, say fire department officials.
When the Greenlawn Fire Department arrived at 9:20 p.m., the 20x40 foot garage was completely engulfed in flames and the man warned of 100 pounds of nitrous oxide within.
Concerned about the risk of explosions, fire fighters used a deck gun and several hand-lines to control the flames and extinguished the blaze in a half hour. Over 50 fire fighters from Greenlawn and neighboring departments were at the scene with five trucks and three ambulances.
The man was transported to Stony Brook University Hospital Burn Center via Suffolk County Police medevac helicopter for treatment of second degree burns to his right leg. The fire destroyed three racing cars in the garage and severely damaged two cars in the driveway.
The response was under the under the command of Greenlawn FD Second Assistant Chief Mike Zeis and Third Assistant Chief Mike Bellis. Centerport FD provided a Rapid Intervention Team, East Northport FD secured the helicopter landing zone, and Dix Hills and Huntington Manor FD's provided standby fire and rescue coverage.
The Suffolk Police Arson Squad and Huntington Town Fire Marshal are investigating. Suffolk County Fire-Rescue Coordinators were also on the scene assisting.