A manhole fire set off two small explosions in two stores on New York Avenue in Huntington village, Huntington Fire Department Deputy Chief Robert Conroy said Wednesday.
According to Conroy, the small explosions late Tuesday night occurred at Skorpios Restaurant and Supercuts after the manhole fire sent gases into electrical panels. No one was injured in either the fire or the resulting carbon monoxide emergency. Ten businesses were affected by the fire, leaving shops with darkness and a smell of burning rubber in the air.
But that didn't stop some of the shops from staying open. Libutti Jewelers and Chip'n Dipped Cookie Company were working on Wednesday, despite the lack of electricity and the LIPA trucks parked in front of their doors.
"Love goes on," Jeannine Libutti, owner of Libutti Jewelers, said. "So what if we're in tough times? Tough times brings communities together."
The jewelers still had business, as people came in for Valentine's Day and birthday gifts. Candles and lanterns lighted up the display cases of the store as employees walked around the store with winter jackets to stay warm.
"We're making the best of it," she said.
On the other side of Skorpios, Chip'n Dipped still sold candy and stayed in the spirit of Valentine's Day. If electricity comes back for Thursday's holiday, they'll have fresh chocolate covered strawberries, too, Peter Goldfarb, owner of the shop, said.
"They should come in," Goldfarb said, "and support the power-lost chocolate store."
Conroy said firefighters from Huntington Fire Department, as well as Huntington Manor, Halesite and Cold Spring Harbor fire departments responded and were on scene until 2:30 a.m. There were no injuries.