1. Long Island Cares: Hauppauge-based Long Island Cares is always in need of volunteers for the Harry Chapin Food Bank, especially around the holidays. Volunteers can volunteer for administrative, distribution, and fundraising work, or provide hands-on volunteer services like sorting food.
2. : This food pantry serves the Huntington community five days a week, and is in constant need of volunteers and donations. For more information about times, volunteering, and involvement, call 631-351-1060. The Community Food Council is located at 90 E 5th St. in Huntington Station.
3. Helping Hands Recue Mission: Thanksgiving baskets will be distributed Nov. 22. For those interested in helping pack or distribute baskets at the mission for this and other holidays call 631-351-6996.
4. East Northport Food Drive: The East Northport Chamber of Commerce and the East Northport Rotary Club in cooperation with The Salvation Army is sponsoring a holiday food drive. All food collected will be distributed to local residents.
5. Long Island Food Not Bombs: One of the biggest ways you can help with Long Island Food Not Bombs is by participating. There are literally hundreds of ways you can help out depending on what you're interested in, your skills and your personal resources. The easiest way to help out is to go to a Food Share and check it out. If you have a skill that you think could benefit your community or further questions click here or call 631-223-4370.